Monday, May 20, 2013

makeup, missions, and an apology.

Hey ladies (and guys, if any of you are reading this too)

I'd like to offer somewhat of an apology about my current fundraiser. I know I've been pushing the "Makeup for Missions" event pretty consistently, but I wanted to make sure that all of you knew a few things that are on my heart...

You don't need the makeup.
You don't need a ton of fancy beauty products.

I believe with my whole heart that you are called to more than makeup, hair, and your appearance.

After going over my packing list, and remembering the days when God told me to quit being so dang conceited (I did a makeup fast last year, I needed to check myself and get back into the Word), I realized that for a solid week, I've been pushing for girls to buy makeup. Wait....wait....what?

Given all of my words about being called to higher things than planning weddings on Pinterest, being more than just what you look like, and not finding your identity in the guy you're dating, etc, I feel almost embarrassed at how quickly I was willing to sell you on beauty products just to fund my trip to Africa. Please, please, please know that I am convinced you are a beautiful woman and if I haven't told you that personally, well...it's true. I'd hate to have any kind of attention regarding my trip to be wasted on vanity and beauty products, when it can (and should) be bringing glory to God and what He's done.

He's brought in nearly $7,000 of funding towards my trip. He's saved my life (literally) more than once. He's changed my heart, renewed my thinking, and called me to Africa to serve Him. He's done incredible things in the lives of so many people... the last thing on my mind when thinking about my trip is makeup. I pray the same is true for you. I'd MUCH rather the focus be Jehovah Jireh, my team's preparation, and His faithfulness to WRECK SHOP in all of our lives! Forget the lipstick, God is busy working miracles all over the WORLD.

If you feel like you should support me by using the MaryKay fundraiser, then go for it! But please know that my heart behind this was to use it as an opportunity to make my fundraising useful (so that people could give money, and get something tangible in return). I have NO desire to make the focus of my fundraising about what we look like on the outside. My hope and prayer is that God will show you time and time again, undoubtedly, that you are so incredibly beautiful. If you are having any doubts or insecurities about the way you look, take 'em to Jesus. I am for real, girls. Run to Him in your imperfection, let Him remind you that HE DIED on a Cross for your imperfect body. God sent His son to die for your heart, not your thighs or your cheekbones. You are fearfully and wonderfully made, and you bet that He wants you to do SO MUCH MORE with your life than worry about your stomach or arms or the number on the scale. If you are needing some encouragement about this, make sure you seek out the prayer and counsel of other women. This is not the time or place to call your boyfriend, best guy friend, or other brother in Christ.

We all have times where we wish we could change things about our appearance. Let God remind you that He made you, specifically to be you, and to be loved just the way you are. (quick side note: if you are surrounded by people (or dating someone) who are (is) NOT convinced of that, you can come talk to me. We'll have a little chat about how fast you need to get out and/or get better friends).

You. Are. Priceless. And you don't need makeup or a perfect body to have value. You are loved, by God, and by me. So please feel free to not buy any makeup from my fundraiser. I'd rather you keep your money and confidence of God's beauty in you, than profit off of any insecurity or need for worldly affirmation.

$2,400. 16 days. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

  1. Chelsey - this is so well said. I feel certain that those who know you also know you are way more about the supernatural than the superficial. ;) We've had great support so far through this fundraising effort, and I DO believe it's for exactly the reason you desired: to put something useful and tangible in the hands of those who are supporting you through this opportunity. That is always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete