Monday, February 25, 2013

He doesn't need me.

"She has a name, she is somebody's daughter. She was made in the Image of our King...but she's a slave, held captive in chains. In Jesus' name, we have got to do something...Only YOU can set them free, but make us part of the solution"
--Donna Stuart, Part of the Solution

I was hit pretty square in the face with a humbling reminder this past weekend.

That is, God doesn't need me to go to Africa. God doesn't need me to minister. God doesn't actually need any of us to do anything. He is the all-powerful Author and Perfecter of our faith. He literally breathed our stars into being. He speaks through burning bushes, pillars of fire, and can flood the Earth with a simple thought. He does not need me to go to Africa to share His love. He can change hearts and divinely intervene in ways that I can't even imagine. But, by His grace, He uses those who are willing.

Whenever you look into the World, your society, or your neighborhood--whatever you see that breaks your heart and calls you to action; He is the solution. We are able to play a part in His story because He, by His grace, uses us. He is willing to send us out into the battle with the knowledge that He will win the victory for us.

Sounds incredible, right? The speaker last weekend (at a conference I attended) gave the example of feeling like a warrior princess. If you know me very well, you know that THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Warrior Princess? Fighting for Jesus? Doin' work to destroy the enemy? Yeah. That's right up my alley. That gets me pumped up to go share His love, praying for and claiming victory over the strongholds of the enemy, praising the Lord for the work He has done and will do, and feeling like a million bucks because God in His infinite grace is going to let me play a part in doing His work! Well...at least....I think He is...? He is...isn't He? He'll send me out to some great calling...right? 

Oh, well. You see...here is what I learned/am learning/will continue to learn. God's calling for my life doesn't start on July 7th, and doesn't end December 21st. Doing His will is not a futuristic project to be done during a set time period. Ministry doesn't start when you break ground on a building or hand out your first Bible to someone on the street. It happens now. It's where you are today, what you do today, and how you use the time you have to glorify Him. I think we get so caught up in waiting for that one "magic thing" that will REALLY be ministry.

I was reminded that we have to serve whole-heartedly where and when we are. As in here and now. In order to do that, we have to know Him. I mean really, know Him. If you've read any of my past several posts, I'm sure you can pick up on some of the things that have really been pushing on my heart about ministry with women in sex trafficking. Do I feel like that is something God has placed on my heart? ABSOLUTELY! Do I need to run off to another country right this second to go all vigilante, rescuing women out of captivity? Well, no... though the idea may have crossed my mind!

There will be a time when I need to act on these convictions. But now, He's called me to finish school and to serve as a chaplain where I am. He's called me to go to Africa, to strip down my heart to the basics in preparation for what He has next and to share His love with those in need. So though I may be stirred and moved and passionate to act on what I believe, if I really want to be useful right now, the best thing I can do is pray. Pray, pray, pray.

The analogy given at the end of this conference was that of a flaming arrow. With God as our archer, we are meant to wait in His quiver until the time is right. Our hearts are broken; set ablaze with conviction and passion, we are pulled backwards until we can't stand the strain any longer--then, just before our breaking point, we are sent to our target to do maximum destruction to the kingdom of darkness. 

So, until that time is here...I wait. Wait and pray. I pray that my desires will become His desires, and that I can be faithful in prayer for the things He's put on my heart. I pray that I seek Him above all else and that His love would pour out of my life. The things we do by our own effort are temporary; the things He does through us by His love are eternal. I am so thankful that He is teaching me and stretching my heart to make room for so much, even if that means emotions run high. Sometimes when God sends us, it's right back to our prayer closets to get on our knees and pray...and wait...and pray.

"I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this and do that, but now I pray that He will guide me to do whatever I'm supposed to do, what I can do. I used to pray for answers, but now I pray for strength. I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us and we change things." Mother Theresa 

Funding Update
I have to meet my goal by March 7th. The last I checked, I was around $350 away from this goal! I will be checking the account next week to see how the Lord has moved to provide the funding. So if you feel lead to give, now is a great time. If you would join me in prayer for the funding to come through in His timing, I would be most appreciative. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment